If you didn’t feel the need to help the environment before, maybe getting paid to do it will put you over the top. We know you wouldn’t be reading this unless you had some interest in either helping the environment or making money..so why not do both? We have compiled 5 reasons to recycle. They may not be your reasons, but they’re reason enough to get started on the ground floor. Who knows, it may be worth something to you in more ways than one.
5 Reasons to Recycle
- Did you know that: Recycling a ton of steel conserves 2,500 lbs of iron ore, 1,400 lbs of coal, and 120 lbs of limestone says the American Iron and Steel Institute. Not to mention it saves enough electricity to power 18 million households for a year. And yes, we have an institute.
- The United States steel industry has reduced the total air and water emissions by 90% just in the last 10 years due to reforms, changes and the increase in metals recycling and its processes.
- Metal Recycling helps the economy. Of course it does, it puts money in your pocket. Moreover it can reduce the overall cost of metal products in one sector which allows for more money to be put into growth of a company versus cost of goods and services.
- Landfill reduction. Statistically speaking, 80% of current landfills contain recyclable metals in them. Imagine, if we increased the amounts of scrap metal recycling we do today just 20 years ago, how that could have educed the amount of current land fill deposits today.
- Frightening statistic. By just replacing one coal powered aluminum production plant, with aluminum recycling, would keep 11.8 million metric tons of carbon dioxide from being generated and released into the atmosphere. That alone, might be worth throwing your discarded cans into a separate bin.
So no matter what the impotece might be for you to start recycling scrap or other materials, whether it’s the environment or the cash, there’s no better time to start than now.